Being exposed to high concentrations of lead can cause significant health problems, especially to very young children and infants. One method of lead exposure is through coming into contact with lead based paint, and lead paint poisoning is so dangerous that paints containing lead were banned as long ago as 1970 in some countries, but was still continued to be used in the United States as recently as 1978. In this article, we will take a closer look at the health problems associated with lead paint poisoning, as well as some of the symptoms.

The Dangers of old Lead Paint

Even though lead based paint has not been used for more than 30 years, paint which was applied to buildings prior to the outright ban coming in to force is still with us, and that paint is now beginning to break down. The problem with this deterioration of old lead based paint is that when it breaks down it produces microscopic particles. These particles then become airborne or settle on carpets and other furnishings. Once these particles enter the atmosphere they can be breathed in or enter the body via the mucus membranes, and this poses a big health risk through lead paint poisoning.

Old Buildings and Lead Paint

lead paint poisoningDespite the fact that lead based paints were banned some years ago, there is still a high risk of lead paint poisoning due to the prevalence of old buildings, many of which will still have lead based paints somewhere on their roofs or walls. If you live or work in an old building, you may be surrounded by lead based paint, and this could be leaving you exposed to dangerous levels of lead in the atmosphere.

Symptoms of Lead Poisoning

Exposure to lead on a consistent basis can cause a number of health problems, especially to those people with pre-existing health problems, as well as babies and small children. Some of the early symptoms of lead poisoning, such as headaches, can be difficult to spot, as they are often similar to other health complaints. However, signs of severe lead poisoning include, memory loss, pain in the abdomen, pain and weakness and even kidney failure. In young children, these symptoms can also be accompanied by changes in their behavior as well as noticeable learning difficulties, so it is important to seek medical advice if you are worried about exposure to lead paint.